Monday, January 19, 2015

1 Skill That Is Worth a Lifetime to Master

Have you ever been in an environment where you felt fear, inadequacy, or overwhelm?  Or do you performs awesome in multiple areas of life but when it comes to another area they freeze and hold back?

For five years I had a goal, something that I not only wanted to do, but that I loved to do.  I wanted to improve my nutrition and grow incredibly nutritious microgreen sunflower sprouts.  

During those five years however, there was a little voice in my head that said:

"Are you kidding me, you've never done this before.  It's not going to work."

"Sounds like way too much work with the stuff you've got going on right now.  Maybe later"

Not surprisingly, 5 years passed by, and nothing.  I only the other side of me that said, "I wonder what life would be like if I had done... ?"  

Have you ever had that voice before?

After a couple months of no progress, that result became a distant memory and I forgot about it.  Isn’t that kind of scary?  Being in a position where something was so exciting, something I wanted so bad, only weeks later to have forgotten it?     

But because of this one skill, all that transformed.  And the amazing part as well, it gave people hope, desire, and excitement that maybe, just maybe, they could do it too.  And at the same time I was like "This is awesome!! I've wanted to do this for 5 years and now it happened!"  Here's some pictures of the final results.






What did I do differently to manifest that seed and remain diligent to help it become a sprout?

The Key is I created a plan.

One of my mentors taught me that anytime there is a gap between where we're at right now versus the results we want is that there's not a process or a plan in place.  

One of the cool definitions of plan is that it is influenced by the late 17th century Italian definition of “plan” which means to “plan of building.”  This coincides with another mean - “design”.  This suggest we must create something intangibly before it is create tangibly.  

What is the value of a plan?  What do people’s lives look like that operate without a plan?

Can you imagine working with a construction company, intent on helping you build your dream home, you knew exactly what you wanted, and they said to you, “We don’t use blueprints, we’ve always done best winging it.”?

What makes the difference between an rock solid plan vs a plan held together with masking tape? 

You’ll know your plan is ready by how you feel about it - do you feel excited?  Does the plan give you energy?  Does it give you confidence that the result is within reach?  If it does, you’re ready.

Here’s the 7 elements that work for me:

Write it down
Review it daily (must be easily accessible)
Specify the Tools needed (bring them in proximity to each other)
Identify and the list the Skills necessary
Identify the Relationships You Need to Excel (experts in the process)
Write out the Process To achieve the goal (step-by-step, phase-by-phase)
Follow-through - for help in getting momentum with the baby steps - review Derek Doepker’s Blog “3 Magic Words to Overcome Overwhelm

I know this works - I’ve created tens of plans in the last couple months and the results are unending and the momentum is exciting.   I’m excited to hear your results.  

What do you think is the value of a plan?   I would love to hear to hear your comments.  Please post below.  Good luck!  




If you’d like to learn more about some of the trainings I’ve attended click here

If you’d like to contact me and connect you can email me at rcjhoch@gmail.com

If you’re local to Calgary, AB area and want to attend a Meetup Group I run click here













1 comment:

  1. I love how you do this one thing when you share, and because you do it, I feel like I'm right there with you in your story, and achieving your results right beside you in your triumph- you share your pictures of what it looks like from your viewpoint. :) I love how you are so transparent

    ReplyDelete