Friday, January 30, 2015

3 Questions To Lovingly Disrupt Your Time Belief Limits

Have you ever made a rule about how long it would take you to achieve something?

I know I did.  And I was right.  It did take me that long.

But then, I watched someone my age, make a different rule, and they, like me were right.   They made a rule about how long they wanted to become financially independent, and they did.  I still wanted what they had, but now I wasn't content waiting 10 more years for it!

What time beliefs did they have that I didn't?

One of the best stories I love about disrupting time limiting beliefs is the story of the 4 Minute Mile record shattered by Sir Roger Bannister.  More people had climbed Mount Everest than running the mile under 4 minutes.  Determined beyond the Professional Naysayers with credentials indicating that such a feat was "Impossible", Bannister went to work with his legs while his antagonists intellectualized in their heads.

Bannister said,


"The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win."




When I want a result, and feel like it's going to take forever, I like to disrupt my time limiting beliefs towards desired result depends on two key questions:


1) "What if I could achieve this result in ______ (fill-in-the-blank with the time period), what is the best way I could do that?


2) "What gaps are holding me back from achieving this result in X amount of time?"


3) "What tools might I leverage to get this result even faster?" (If you could choose between a Do you a bicycle, horse, car, or jet plane, which would you want?)


Don't be fooled that you'll achieve this on your first try!

This may not mean you achieve it on the first try - but I remember creating one tool that took a task 5 minutes down to 5 seconds.  That's 295 extra seconds of productivity!



Some people see the gaps that hold them back, while others create the gap to where they want to be.  Both will leverage you forward.

Darren Hardy, founder of Success Magazine said it like this:

"Small, Smart Choices + Consistency + Time = RADICAL DIFFERENCE" - The Compound Effect

What do you do to disrupt time limiting beliefs?

What do you do when someone says to achieve a result will take forever?

Enjoy a fabulous weekend everyone!





If you’d like to learn more about some of the trainings I’ve attended click here

If you’d like to contact me and connect you can email me at rcjhoch@gmail.com

If you’re local to Calgary, AB area and want to attend a Meetup Group I run click here

1 comment:

  1. Rory, I really admire you for doing this one thing that really gets me to think about what you are sharing. I love how you include quotes from the people in your story- especially in bold- it creates urgency in me to think how I could relate. I thought about moments in my life when I 'won' as I pushed past the pain of the moment: the pain of growing a better character, the pain of becoming a mother, or the pain in learning a new language in immersion, all of which bring me back to the joy of my favourite winter 'sport': tobogganing- the pain of climbing that hill, and pure delight of slipping and sliding down a slope leaving behind all that pain in my legs and forgetting it all to enjoy the moments of joy that it allows for me to enjoy right now...

    "The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win."

    Would you share more about what this means to you?

    ReplyDelete